Friday, April 18, 2008

Opposable Thumb

As humans, we are evolutionarily inclined in some departments, but not others.

The opposable thumb is one of those things that we, as humans, don’t have the market cornered on. Other animals share this trait in common with us.

However, I can speak from experience when I say that not having a properly functioning opposable thumb is a real downer. The thumb on my right hand likes to freeze up and stop me in my tracks.

These painful, often embarrassing episodes, seek to show that we can never be too proud and never take the simple things in life for granted. The days when all of my body parts function fairly normally with minimal pain and stiffness, are days when I truly feel lucky.

Before, I never would have consider walking up the stairs a feat of greatness. But now, some of the most celebrated moments are those when I manage to complete the tasks of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment