Friday, April 18, 2008

On Other People's Opinions

One of the toughest parts of the past few months has been the reaction of others to my situation. The consensus has been, if you look healthy, you must be healthy. Unfortunately, you can’t always judge a book by its cover.

I have tried to explain to those around me that the day I look “truly” sick or am unable to function to the point where I can’t get out of bed or go about my normal routine, is the day I am finished. To them, this seems like years and years away. To me, it is a fear I carry with me on a daily basis. People don’t realize how precious their health is until they don’t have it anymore.
I’ve found that those who are the most supportive aren’t the ones who are immediately available. They aren’t the ones that I see on a daily basis. They are the ones who are a phone call away, who live from a few hours away to across the country. Why is this? Maybe the reality scares the people who see me all the time. Maybe they are in denial as much as I am (A post about Denial to follow).

No comments:

Post a Comment