Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Asking For Help

I think there comes a time in everyone’s life when they have an Oh, Crap! Moment. It’s a moment when you question everything and realize that you know nothing about yourself.

And I realized that in a time of crisis, I had no idea who I was. What kind of person am I? How am I going to react? How am I going to fare in the face of adversity? Who will stay with me through it all and who will run in the other direction? How will I feel about those people?

But most importantly, what do I need to get through it.

It’s ironic when you consider yourself to be a person who doesn’t need others and then you end up in a situation where you realize your entire life might be defined by needing people.

Will you be there to catch me when I fall?

Can I call you at three a.m.?

And maybe it sounds selfish, but if the answer to those two questions is no, then these people really do not deserve to be your friends.

I’ve realized that I have to surround myself by positive, encouraging people, not people whose only goal is to bring me down. There are days when I’m feeling bad enough as it is, I don’t need other people’s negative energy as well as my own. Believe me, there are days when I have plenty to go around!

I’ve never really been one to ask for help or feel the need to depend on people. But all of this has made me realize that sometimes we can’t go it alone and we need other people to see us through. This doesn’t make me less of a person. It makes me human.

And at the end of the day, if that need for help is met with questioning glances and unconcerned responses, well, pick up and move on, you’re not the problem in that relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment