Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"FDA Experts Recommend Approval for Experimental Arthritis Drug"

From HealthDay Health Highlights:

“The experimental rheumatoid arthritis drug Actemra should be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, an expert panel advising the agency recommended Tuesday.

The advisors voted 10-1 in favor of approval, despite the drug’s serious side effects including possible infections, liver damage and cancer, the Associated Press reported. Last week, the FDA posted documents on its Web site that said Actemra appeared effective in treating moderate-to-severe RA, including symptoms such as disabling joint damage and pain.

RA differs from typical age-related arthritis, which involves wear and tear on the joints as people get older. In RA, by contrast, the body’s immune system actually attacks the joints. About 2.5 million Americans have the condition, and most people get it in early adulthood or middle age, the AP said.

While most arthritis medications are designed to relieve pain, Actemra is a genetically engineered drug that blocks a protein called IL-6, which has been linked to the body’s inflammatory response.

Actemra is made by Hoffman-La Roche Inc.

The full FDA generally follows the suggestions of its advisory panels, though it isn’t bound to do so.”


(http://healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=617911)

*****
Read also the recent blurbs on HealthDay about Actemra from July 25, July 26, and July 27.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, just liver damage and cancer? Another toxic remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, awesome, right? And isn't it funny in the article about approval that they don't bother to mention any of that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my young age I was problem with arthritis too. But happpily I'm not addicted with any drugs.
    Now, I live without pain.
    Everything I did and I do is in Natural way.
    I think that we can do very much
    to cure yourself.

    I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw an ad for this on tv!! I remember thinking how weird it was that cancer is one of the potential side effects. Hell of a side effect, I would say.

    ReplyDelete