Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Oprah Says

You know, I don’t want to give her more credit than she deserves, but sometimes, Oprah just gets it right. She hits the nail on the head.

I was reading the current (June 2008) issue of the magazine, and in her “What I Know For Sure” section, she had this to say:

“It is indeed a miracle when you realize the fullness of who you are. You’re not your body, and for sure you’re not your body image. That’s a free at last kind of recognition. No more wasted time” (244).

I think she’s right. And it makes me realize that I was hung up on being short and then I get sick and I got hung up on that, and then the medication made me gain weight (not a lot), but then I became hung up on that.

There will always be something to fixate on, something to want to perfect, if we let it.

But what if we all were to step back for a moment and rather than pin-point all that we feel is wrong with us, look at all that is right. I think many times we construe this as being a selfish, self-centered pursuit, making us seem too into or full of ourselves.

What if the key to true happiness relies on accepting ourselves for who we are?

I’ve said a lot recently that this whole experience of illness and disease has, to some extent, made me accept my own limitations.

All of us are good at some things and bad at others.

But we are who we are, and for better or worse, there is something inherently good in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment