Sunday, September 14, 2008

We Might Be Invisible... But We Have Each Other!

Okay, so first let me say that I know how cheesy the title of this post sounds.

But in all reality, this National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week has made me realize the wonderful support system that I have, even if, for the most part, it is a “virtual” one.

I think more than anything, this week has really helped me flesh out who I can truly consider to be a support and whom I cannot. And I think this exercise in self-exploration has been useful in many, many ways.

I’ve started to realize how negativity – people who are rude and outright mean – can really bring a person down (namely, me).

This has been a crazy week, and despite early victories, has probably not come down on my side of the scoreboard. I’m not sure how I feel about this at the moment…

I think I’ve also realized that I am only going to bring to the table/relationships what others bring. I’m really sick and tired of being nice to everyone and being kicked in the butt anyway.

I’m am truly grateful for all of the wonderful people I’ve met during my time so far as a chronic illness blogger. The support, concern, compassion, and commiseration are much appreciated!

Maybe someday I’ll actually get to meet some of you in person (even though you already know what my face looks like)!

So, I hope you all had an introspective National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness week. For me, it was the first of many to come.

On that note, I want to thank those that have been there for me since I joined this community. It’s funny, I think, or maybe ironic is a better word, that we all joined this community unwillingly, but have really come to embrace each other.

I’m not going to name names because the way things have been going lately, I’ll most likely forget someone, but you know who you are. And it goes without saying that I thank my non-virtual family and friends who have and continue to stand by and support me.

No comments:

Post a Comment