Monday, September 6, 2010

Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2010

In honor, and in anticipation, of Invisible Illness Awareness Week (, which is September 13 to September 19, 2010, Maria of My Life Works Today and I are collaborating on a project.

So many of us have invisible illnesses, so our goal with this project is to make the invisible visible.

So what are you waiting for? Grab a paper bag, get creative, and show us your pics. Submit pics to and, and/or post on your own blog and share the link with us.

A few things to keep in mind:

- NO plastic bags. Paper ONLY.

- We know that many of you, including ourselves, may have more illnesses than fit on the paper bag, so put whatever feels most salient for you. This isn’t a competition. It’s simply a chance to get creative and take a stand against the invisibility of invisible illnesses.

Check out my blog and Maria’s ( for examples.

The inspiration for this project was taken from various website sources on the late Saul Steinberg’s work from the 1950’s and 1960’s (

You can find more of his work at the Inge Morath Foundation, Martha Stewart's website, and/or by simply searching Google images.


  1. What a fantastic idea to hono(u)r invisible illness awareness week! I plan on going through my stash of paper bags, finding my colo(u)red pencils/markers, and putting a "face" on my invisible illnesses.
    Good luck with the project: I hope you end up with a gallery of hundreds of paper bag "faces"!

  2. I would love to link back to this blog posting on how to make invisible illnesses visible in my own blog ( and on face book pages (mine and a group: gracefulagony). I won't do so without your permission. Please let me know if you are comfortable with this.

  3. You guys don't know how much awareness and inspiration you have been giving to those who suffers from autoimmune diseases. Thanks!